Manchester Council evicts dozens from ‘Red Tent Camp’ outside Town Hall after court ruling

Different coloured tents outside Manchester Town Hall

Dozens of people have been evicted from an encampment site in Manchester city centre early this morning after the council secured a court order to reclaim the site. 

At around 6:45am, council officials and bailiffs arrived at St Peter’s Square to clear the “red tent camp”, a settlement for homeless people outside the Manchester City Council building.

Those living in the tents were given plastic bags to pack their belongings as bailiffs knocked on their shelters and ordered them to leave. 

One evicted refugee, who wishes to remain anonymous, said he has not slept ‘in over 24 hours’ because of the ordeal. 

The man, who came to the United Kingdom from Eritrea 15-years-ago, alleges he requested assistance from the Local Authorities to return to Eritrea on numerous occasions, but claims he was instead placed in the “red tent camp”, where he resided for four months. 

“The council should be here, helping us,” he said. “They have moved us from here, to over there [Oxford Road].

“Winter was very bad in the tent. I have a spinal cord injury from lying on the ground.

“But now, I want to go home to Eritrea.”

The “rent tent camp”, which has been in place since last spring, had evolved into a semi-permanent settlement for the city’s homeless population, including dozens of refugees. 

However, the camp posed ongoing concerns over safety, security and cleanliness, and had been dismantled on two previous occasions—once for Remembrance Sunday and again for New Year’s Eve celebrations. 

The camp’s permanent dismantling follows Manchester City Council securing a “possession order” earlier this month, which effectively evicts those living in tents on the site.

This had been met with a legal challenge from the Greater Manchester Law Centre to halt the displacement. However, this was unsuccessful, ultimately granting the council the legal authority to reclaim the site.

The case involved dozens of unrepresented refugees from the camp, with around 40 appearing before civil court.  During proceedings, one refugee told His Honour Judge Nigel Bird: “I do not think anybody with a tent there is happy or comfortable.”

However, Judge Bird ruled that the refugees, who were legally deemed trespassers, must vacate the site.

“St Peter’s Square is a public amenity,” Judge Bird said, as reported in the Manchester Evening News. “I therefore order the unrepresented defendants give up possession of St Peter’s Square and I will make an order accordingly.”

It remains uncertain where the camp’s residents will relocate, but tents have been spotted this afternoon outside the Midland Hotel on Lower Mosley Street.

A Manchester City Council spokesperson said: “The court order instructing people in the St Peter’s Square camp to leave the area was carried out successfully this morning.  

“This brings to an end the encampment which has been in place there for several months, with fluctuating numbers, occupied by people who are refugees who have been granted the right to remain in the country.  

“We have conducted homelessness assessments for people camping there and offered temporary accommodation to everyone who we owed a statutory duty – anyone classed as vulnerable and in priority need. Others on site who were not classed as vulnerable were still offered advice and support, including a personal housing plan, to help them secure accommodation for themselves.   

“People were given the choice to pack up and take their tents and belongings with them. The only items which were disposed of were ones which had been abandoned.  

“We would reiterate that help is at hand for any Manchester resident facing homelessness. The Council’s homelessness service works hard alongside a fantastic network of voluntary and community sector organisations in the city.     

“But as we have consistently stated, this informal camp in St Peter’s Square was not a safe, sanitary or suitable place from which to access support. Nor does camping in a public space accelerate their homelessness application or gain them any other advantage.

“We will continue to engage with the people in the tents and monitor the situation.” 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.